Early in 1958, a group of devoted laymen, headed by Mr. John C. Henderson, Mr. Peter E. Fleming and Doctor George A. Sheehan, realized the need for another Catholic High School in Monmouth County. With the approval of the Most Reverend Bishop George W. Ahr, they initiated a drive to raise funds for the purchase of a piece of property. The Brothers of the Christian Schools, under the leadership of thieir Provincial, Brother Anthony John Halpin, agreed to staff the school and finance its construction.
The former Whitney Greentree Stables, a 157-acre farm, was purchased and one building was converted into what is now Henderson Hall. The school opened its doors in September of 1959, with six Brothers and 150 students. Two years later, the new school building was completed and ready for use. Continuous improvements to campus facilities such as the additions of the Henderson Theater, the McKay Gym and the science labs were made possible by generous benefactors during the 30-year administration of Brother Andrew O'Gara. Commemorating the 50th anniversary of the school and under the direction of the school's second president, Brother Frank Byrne, a new library, administrative office, guidance center, labs and classrooms were added.
Now, over 50 years later, what began on an old horse farm as a shared dream has evolved into one of the nation's premier institutions for learning. With an alumni network approaching 10,000 and school traditions that span several generations, becoming "an Academy man" means joining an elite class of life-long learners, spanning every industry and present in all 50 states.