Christian Brothers Academy
Algebra 1 Exemption Exam Information
Below you will find the information regarding Math Course Placement and the Algebra 1 exemption exam. The exemption exam will take place on May 11, 2023. Please read this information thoroughly before making the decision whether or not to sign your son up for the exemption exam. If you have any questions, please contact Mr. Anthony Cecilione, Math Department Chair at email@example.com
If, after reading through this information you’d like to register your son for the exemption exam, please enter the information at the bottom of the page by April 15, 2023.
- Calculators are not permitted on the exemption exam.
- In the prior two academic years, approximately 70% of incoming CBA freshmen took Algebra I for their first year of high school mathematics.
- Students who are taking a full year of high school Algebra in 8th grade may register to sit for the Algebra I Exemption Exam to be administered on May 11, 2023 from 3:30 – 4:30 pm. Material covered by the aforementioned exam can be found in any standard Algebra I textbook. As further guidance, below is a general listing of topics tested by the
Algebra I Exemption Exam.
TOPICS COVERED ON THE ALGEBRA I EXEMPTION EXAMINATION
- Fundamental properties and axioms of the number system
- Addition, subtraction, multiplication and division of positive and negative numbers
- Order of operations
- Use of variables and evaluating expressions with variables
- Solving linear equations and inequalities
- Solving absolute value equations
- Meaning, use and laws of operations for exponents
- Addition, subtraction, multiplication and division of monomials and polynomials
- Factoring polynomials in various forms
- Solving quadratic equations by factoring
- Addition, subtraction, multiplication, division and simplification of algebraic fractions / rational expressions
- Solution of equations containing fractions
- Solution of linear systems of equations in two variables
- Generating the equation of a line through two points, parallel or perpendicular to a given line
- Simplifying expressions with square roots
Math Placement following your son’s results on the Algebra I Exemption Exam:
- Students who demonstrate their mastery of Algebra I by successfully completing the
Algebra I Exemption Exam will be placed in Geometry for their freshman year.
- Students who place into Geometry Honors as a result of their performance on the fall entrance exam and passing the Algebra I Exemption Exam will have the opportunity to take the six week Summer Honors Geometry course offered at CBA.
- Successful candidates will be contacted with information regarding the aforementioned course.
- Students who successfully complete the Algebra I Exemption Exam and have taken a full year of Geometry in 8th grade may register to sit for the Geometry Exemption Exam at a later date.
- Students who demonstrate their mastery of Geometry by successfully completing the Geometry Exemption Exam will be placed in Algebra II/Trigonometry for their freshman year.
- Students who successfully complete the Algebra I as well as the Geometry Exemption Examinations and have taken a full year of a math course higher than Geometry will have the opportunity to sit for other exemption exams.