CBA CHESS EXCELS AT THE STATE GRADE CHAMPIONSHIPS
November 29, 2016
In signature fashion, the CBA Chess Team has begun their regular season with an impressive early victory, capturing the 11th Grade New Jersey State Championship and seeing some impressive standout performances.
Twenty-four members of CBA’s illustrious squad put their skills to the test at this year’s State Grade Championship.
The 12th grade team took third place overall, with Tyler Gentile and Nick Karris placing eighth and tenth, respectively.
On top of their 11th grade team victory, CBA had three juniors place individually: Daniel Draganoff took second, Brendan Fitzgerald took fourth and Marc Sorrentino placed tenth.
The day-long event, held earlier this month at Brookdale Community College, marks a pivotal early season performance for CBA’s 2016-17 team. Coached by Mr. Melosh, Mr. Meinders, and Mrs. Breen, the CBA Chess team returns after a heroic 2015-16 campaign, which culminated with the 2016 U1900 National High School Championship title.
About CBA Chess:
- First place at the National High School Championships, U1900 Team
- Second at Nationals (12th grade), 4th at Nationals (10th grade).
- First Place U1900 Team, New York City Championships
- Second Place U1200 Team, New York City Championships
- First Place Team, New Jersey Grade Championships
- Top 12th grade player (Luke Drennan), New Jersey Grade Championships.